Drinking two liters of plain water in a day is a daunting task for many. So instead of water many people opt for fresh fruit juices and drinks. Detox water makes a great alternative to fresh fruit juices, shakes and smoothies. Detox drinks or detox water is water infused with fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs. So you get the fruity taste without crossing your calorie intake limits. So it’s a win win.
Table of Contents
Detox Drinks To Make At Home
There are hundreds of ways you can make detox drinks at home. It is literally about going with your favorite fruits and veggies or choosing whatever you have at home and throwing it into a pitcher. To help get you started, we are listing below seven different ways you can make detox drinks at home.
1. Lemon and Cucumber Water
Lemon and Cucumber water is definitely the easiest and most common detox water ever. But the benefits you can reap by including it in your life are unmatchable. Prepare a big jug of this detox water like this.
- 1 chopped cucumber
- Juice from 1 lemon
- A handful of mint leaves
- 2 litres of water
- Add 1 chopped cucumber into a jug.
- Now squeeze one big lemon into this jug.
- Add a handful of cleaned mint leaves to it.
- Now pour 1-2 litres of water in the jug.
- Chug onto this detox water throughout the day.
2. Ginger Tea with Honey and Lemon
Honey and lemon combined with ginger root don’t sound appetizing at all, but wait till you try this refreshing tea. Follow these steps to make your ginger tea with honey and lemon.
- A small piece of ginger root
- Half liter water
- 7-8 mint leaves
- 7-8 lemon balm leaves
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Clean your ginger root and grate it.
- Pour water in a pot and add grated ginger to it.
- Put the pot on medium flame and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Now filter your ginger tea.
- Add mint and lemon balm leaves.
- Let the tea stand for 15 minutes.
- Now add honey and lemon juice to it.
3. Cinnamon, Star Anise and Honey Tincture
This cinnamon, star anise and honey tincture can be taken at any time during the day or night. Just make sure to not take more than 250ml of this drink in a day.
Here is what you need to make this detox drink:
- 1 tsp grounded/powdered cinnamon
- 1 tsp grounded/powdered star anise
- Half cup water
- 1 tbsp honey
- Boil half a cup of water.
- Add grounded cinnamon and star anise to it.
- Let this tincture stand overnight.
- In the morning add honey to it and drink it on an empty stomach.
4. Green Tea and Lemon Detox
Switch your regular cup of tea with this tangy tea and you will be amazed by how it gives you a boost of freshness. Here is how you can brew your green tea and lemon detox.
- 1 cup water
- 1 green tea bag
- Half lemon
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Place your green tea bag in boiled water.
- Let it stand for 2 minutes.
- Now squeeze ¼ or half a lemon into your green tea.
- Drink the tea while it is still warm.
5. Mango, Banana and Strawberry Detox Smoothie
So yummy yet so light on your tummy. This mango, banana and strawberry detox smoothie will be your go to drink if you are a fan of smoothies. What makes it different from other smoothies is the ingredients it uses. Here is how you can prepare it.
- ½ cup mango cubes
- 1 cup bananas sliced
- 1 cup strawberry
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- Cut 1 mango into cubes and freeze it.
- Cut 1 cup strawberries and freeze them.
- Slice 2-3 bananas.
- In a mixer, blend frozen mango cubes, frozen strawberries and sliced bananas with one cup of water and one cup of coconut milk.
- Pour into your favourite sipper.
- It tastes best when chilled, so do not skip refrigerating it before drinking.
6. Watermelon Mint Cooler
Watermelon being rich in potassium supports kidney function and mint aids digestion. What makes this watermelon mint detox water a winner is it doubles as a refreshing cooler in summers. Here is how you can make it:
- 1 cup watermelon cubes
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 4 cups water
- In a large pitcher pour 4 cups of water. Use alkaline water if available.
- Now chop a handful of mint leaves and throw them in the water.
- Now add 1 cup watermelon cubes.
- Chill this watermelon cooler detox and enjoy.
7. Orange Carrot and Ginger Detox
The three ingredients this detox uses are one of their kinds. Oranges with their high potency of vitamin C and antioxidants, carrots being powerhouses of fiber and beta carotene. Ginger is an age-old remedy for treating bloating and indigestion. Here is how you can make it:
- 1 carrot
- 2 oranges
- ½ inch ginger root
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ lemon
- Juice carrot and oranges separately.
- Now in a blender add carrot and orange juice.
- Grate a half inch piece of ginger root into it.
- Add ½ tsp turmeric powder, you can also use a half inch piece of fresh turmeric instead of powder.
- Blend it all up.
- Now strain your detox into a jug and squeeze juice from half lemon into it.
How do detox drinks work?
Although your body is self sufficient in detoxifying itself, but with the current levels of exposure to preservatives, metals and pesticides your body’s naturally occurring detoxification isn’t enough. If toxin intake is not controlled it can give you bloating, constipation, headaches, nausea, fatigue and skin problems.
Adding detox drinks to your diet can aid your body’s naturally occurring detoxification. Apart from detoxifying your body, detox drinks improve metabolism which in turn aids in weight loss. Detox drinks also help improve your mood, flush out toxins from kidneys and liver, reduce physical and mental fatigue and improve gastrointestinal health.