no 2.54MB 0.0718 4
icon_location
search-outline search Asset 19 Asset 2 Asset 42 Asset 49 Asset 50 Asset 44 Asset 45 Asset 62 Asset 14 Asset 37 Asset 25 Asset 26 Asset 16 calendar password lock key star-outline gender gallery icon-services experience awards education affiliations languages icon-pmdc-circle Asset 78 Asset 81 icon-services Asset 91 Asset 83 Asset 89 Asset 87
chest child cosmaetic dentist diebetic endocrionologist ent eye Gastro generalPhysician generalsurgeon gynecologist heart kidney neurologist diet-new on-new ortho pain Asset 6 Asset 5 endocrionologist Asset 4

Severe upper back pain

Asked for Female, 31 years

I have severe back pain in my upper back. I have had pain in this location for a number of years but recently it has gotten too bad to ignore. The pain started as a discomfort years ago around the area of my back where there is 1 vertibrae that is slightly off centre to the right. I have never had this seen to stupidly, maybe I thought it was normal. My husband tried massaging it but I'm getting shooting pains down my right inner arm when pressure is applied. Please help, advice/ diagnosis.

Responses (1)
Dr. Beenish Ehsan
Family Physician - Karachi

Dear Patient,

I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds uncomfortable and painful. However, for something so longterm and gradually becoming worse I would recommend seeing your family practitioner and getting a scan done of your back to atleast know if this is a muscle spasm or a bone issue. I wouldn't recommend massaging with any pressure involved as we don't know the nature of your illness, but I would recommend doing hot and cold compressions two to three times a day to see which suits you, try applying an analgesic balm with minimal pressure. If you lift weights or sit for long hour consider enforcing correct posture and movement for it, use good walking shoes with arch support.

Related Questions

Asked for Male, 70 years

My father has low back pain due to disc problems. Should I take him to physiologist or orthopedic? ...

Asked for Female, 53 years

The persistent pulsating throbbing pressure, jabbing pain which coincides with my heartbeat on my le...

Asked for Female, 44 years

My elder sister aged 40 mothers of 5 kids complains jaw lock specifically while going to sleep along...

Asked for Male, 26 years

I have this stretch pain in my left arm veins. Starting from ring finger and middle finger going all...

Asked for Female, 27 years

I have on & off the pain in left arm from last 2-3 weeks. Mostly start at night. What should be the ...

Asked for Male, 37 years

Feeling pain on my right foot while sitting in namaz. Feels like a pain in muscles not in any joints...