no 2.54MB 0.0956 5
icon_location
search-outline search Asset 19 Asset 2 Asset 42 Asset 49 Asset 50 Asset 44 Asset 45 Asset 62 Asset 14 Asset 37 Asset 25 Asset 26 Asset 16 calendar password lock key star-outline gender gallery icon-services experience awards education affiliations languages icon-pmdc-circle Asset 78 Asset 81 icon-services Asset 91 Asset 83 Asset 89 Asset 87
chest child cosmaetic dentist diebetic endocrionologist ent eye Gastro generalPhysician generalsurgeon gynecologist heart kidney neurologist diet-new on-new ortho pain Asset 6 Asset 5 endocrionologist Asset 4

Numb legs

Asked for Female, 53 years

My mother is having lumbar spondylosis from 3 4 months. Due to pain in back our doctor prescribed physiotherapy (traction and heating pad). She is going to physiotherapy from 2 months. She is avoiding bending and taking stairs. Now she doesn’t experience pain but her leg gets numb. The Neurologist suggested us a surgery due to numbness and asked to consult a surgeon. Can you please tell me that if we should go for surgery? If yes than is it a major surgery and is there any risk involved?

Responses (1)
Dr. Beenish Ehsan
General Physician - Karachi

Dear Patient,

Numbness occurs when the nerve is getting pressed and sensations are not passed through. If this nerve is permanently pressed due to the slip disc then the numbness will not improve.
What you can do is meet with a neurosurgeon who can suggest what to do from here, and you could also ask him if you can continue physio for 6months and see if it improves the numbness so that one can delay/avoid surgery. If it doesn't improve the compression needs to be relieved by surgery. Risks can be discussed with your surgeon in detail.

For further help, we recommend checking with one of the
best neuro surgeons in Lahore and seek a piece of in-person advice at https://oladoc.com/pakistan/lahore/neuro-surgeon

You can seek help from the doctors listed below:

Dr.Nauman Ahmed
Neurosurgeon, Spinal Surgeon
Lahore
Dr.Yaser Uddin Hoti
Neurosurgeon
Lahore
Col. (R) Prof. Dr.Sabir Hussain Bhatti
Neurosurgeon, Spinal Surgeon, Pediatric Neurosurgeon
Lahore
Dr.Muhammad Yasir Mukhtar
Neurosurgeon, Spinal Surgeon, Pediatric Neurosurgeon
Lahore

Related Questions

Asked for Male, 46 years

My husband is 42 yrs old.He did an MRI of the spine and they found he has a hernia but also a nodule...

Asked for Male, 42 years

I had two cortisone injections in my spine for my pain. Now the pin is gone but my face is all puffy...

Asked for Male, 31 years

Im experiencing back pain. Retrolisthesis L5-S1; S1JD; Mild diffused disk bulge L5-S1; Thecal sac co...

Asked for Female, 31 years

Assalam u alaikum. I m suffering from extreme pain in my lower spine whenever I wake up in the morni...