We have detected Lahore as your city

Depression: Q And A With Ms. Fariha Naz

Ms. Fariha Naz

1 min read

Find & Book the best "Psychiatrists" near you

Depression and psychological disorders affect people of all age groups. However, with the advent of technology and medical advancement, treatments to manage psychological disorders have become increasingly common. 

Ms. Fariha Naz is a clinical psychologist in Lahore and a motivational speaker. In her session with oladoc, she touched on important subjects like depression and anxiety and how to manage life with these psychological issues. 

Q.1: What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?

This is one of the most frequently asked questions because a lot of people tend to get confused between the two. Psychiatrists are more focused on medication, whereas psychologists work with psychotherapy and counselling. Generally, therapy plays a 51% role in managing psychological disorders whereas medication plays the other 49% part. 

Q.2: Why is it difficult for patients to visit a psychologist?

In western countries, it is very common for people to visit psychologists on a weekly basis. They seek help from counsellors to deal with day to day problems. In our society, the taboo attached to psychological disorders makes it extremely hard for patients to break the silence.

They are afraid of being labelled “psycho” and most importantly, they fear what people will think about them and how their relatives will perceive their condition. That is why most people end up lying about seeking therapy. My advice is to treat mental disorders just like you would treat any physical disorder because they are essentially both the same. 

Q.3: What is depression?

If we observe the people around us, we find the word “depression” being casually used when minor problems arise in their lives. For me, depression is like being hammered in the head on something as small as a needle falling on the ground. Depression is painful and heavy because it comes along with a lot of symptoms that hamper one’s quality of life. 

Q.4: What are the symptoms of depression?

Symptoms of depression vary from person to person. Patients suffer from frequent crying spells, they tend to cry for long hours without a cause. They tend to think negatively about themselves and the world around them, they form a pessimistic perspective about life and lose hope in not only themselves but also the people around them.

Patients also experience a loss in their appetites and find sleeping very difficult. In extreme case, patients also suffer from suicidal tendencies. 

Q.5: What are the causes of depression?

Causes of depression vary from patient to patient. A common cause is genetics, if depression runs in your family it is very likely that you might suffer from it as well. Circumstances are also an important cause, for example, tragic incidents such as the death of a loved one might also trigger depression.

Change of environment also causes some people to suffer from depression because they find it difficult to cope with the change. Combination of counselling and medication are advised to manage depression effectively. 

To learn more about depression causes and treatment, watch the full interview. If you have any mental health concerns, contact a psychologist at your earliest.

You can find and book an appointment with the best psychologist. You can book an appointment via the website, mobile app or by calling our helpline at 042-3890-0939 for assistance to find the RIGHT professional for your concerns.

Disclaimer: The contents of this article are intended to raise awareness about common health issues and should not be viewed as sound medical advice for your specific condition. You should always consult with a licensed medical practitioner prior to following any suggestions outlined in this article or adopting any treatment protocol based on the contents of this article.

Ms. Fariha Naz - Author Miss. Fariha Naz is a Psychologist practicing in Lahore. Miss. Fariha Naz has the following degree: MS (Clinical & Counseling Psychology) and has 5 years of experience.
Book Appointment with the best "Psychiatrists"